Jaynes Your Way

Here are my thoughts about films, life, and what not. If you don't like them I'll give your money back.

Running gels

20 May, 2010

It's three days before my first half-marathon. I've been "training" for a solid seventeen weeks. If you read my initial post on starting to train I was primarily concerned with trying to drop some of those post Christmas lbs. Initially I was cutting calories, but once you start running 20-30 miles a week that just isn't an option. I've started to use gels on the the longer runs. I picked up a box of Clif Bar shots from amazon since not many stores sell gels in the city. Normally, you can find them at tri/running stores. Decided to just get the Sam's style pack of them.



I love Clif Bars anyway and thought these would be a good on the go snack. They aren't too bad, but they are no Chocolate Brownie Clif Bar. Mmhmm. I'll take one about half an hour into a run that lasts longer than an hour. The little packet offers a boost of carbs AND it has the added benefit of caffeine. Not a lot of caffeine, about the amount in a cup of green tea, enough to keep the engine reeving.

I'm going to take one or two of these pre-race, and then maybe one or two more during the actual race. Luckily all the water stations will have Gatorade too so I don't have to worry about carrying a lot of calories with me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it taste like a moist squirt of nougat?

21 May, 2010 10:07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home